[ovirt-users] New installation

david caughey djc636 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 17:43:11 UTC 2017

Hi Folks,

I just got the go ahead to install oVirt to use as a lab.
The servers are:
1xdl360 4x30010k in raid 10 for OS (Manager) should this be clustered with
another server for resiliency
5xdl380 2x30010k for OS 6x1TB7.2k RAID5 on each for a data store
It will all be behind a proxy and be connected with 1GB links, (2x4 bonds)

My plan is to have 1 manager as this is a lab scenario and not production,
(yet), or is it better to have a cluster.

Is it ok to have a data store on each host, (they won't let me have
dedicated storage yet)?
Is it wise to share these data_stores between hosts or should 1 store be
dedicated to each host individually?

There is no need for performance, basically as long as it runs it will work.
The final intention is to have templates for OpenStack and CEPH plus lots
of Linux examples set up with SDN etc.
We have a 90% Windows shop but it is all rapidly changing to OpenStack et
al and I want to try and give people the opportunity to use Linux in the
lab before they are let lose in production.
Plus it gives me the chance to show management exactly what ovirt can do.

Any help, advice or links would be greatly appreciated,

BR/David