[ovirt-users] migrating VMS from old hosted engine to new hosted engine

Paul Groeneweg | Pazion paul at pazion.nl
Thu Jun 22 22:13:30 UTC 2017

We are moving our VMs from an old 3.6 oVirt platform to a new oVirt 4.1
platform.

I am looking for an easy way to migrate the VMs. ( I know about export
domain, but this takes 2 times a copy action ) I tested and just detaching
the Data domain and attaching it, didn't work.

Then I found the VM import option:
 - Adding a ssh key gen and setting password on virsh
- load a list of machines in the webinterface from VM import
- when I start an import the system complains:
The following VMs retrieved from external server
qemu+ssh://root@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/system are not in down status: VM [VM-NAME].
- I tried to suspend the VM, but this didn;t work either ( same error )
- Problem is ,when VM is shutdown, it disappears from this system list.

Is there a way to directly import a VM from old oVirt platform to the new
platform

Looking forward to find a solution to quickly migrate our VMs.

Best Regards,

Paul Groeneweg