[ovirt-users] is arbiter configuration needed?

knarra knarra at redhat.com
Fri Jun 23 13:25:28 UTC 2017

On 06/23/2017 03:38 PM, Erekle Magradze wrote:
> Hello,
> I am using glusterfs as the storage backend for the VM images, volumes
> for oVirt consist of three bricks, is it still necessary to configure
> the arbiter to be on the safe side? or since the number of bricks is
> odd it will be done out of the box?
> Thanks in advance
> Cheers
> Erekle

Hi,

An arbiter volume is a special class of replica-3 volume. Arbiter is
special because the third brick of replica set contains only directory
hierarchy information and metadata. Therefore, arbiter provides
split-brain protection with the equivalent consistency of a replica-3
volume without incurring the additional storage space overhead.

     If you already have a replica volume in your config with three
bricks then that config should be good. You do not need to create a arbiter.

Hope this helps !!

Thanks

kasturi