[ovirt-users] Unable to rename disks via REST API

Juan Hernández jhernand at redhat.com
Wed Jun 28 09:12:20 UTC 2017

On 06/28/2017 10:43 AM, Bruno Rodriguez wrote:
> Thank you, Daniel
>
> I tried a PUT with the same XML body, I got a "405 Method Not Allowed".
> It's quite strange, there must be someting I'm missing

The operation to update a disk will be introduced in version 4 of the
API with version 4.2 of the engine. Meanwhile the way to update the disk
is to use version 3 of the API and the disks sub-collection of the
virtual machine. That means that if you have a VM with id 123 and a disk
with id 456 you can send a request like this:

  PUT /ovirt-engine/api/v3/vms/123/disks/456

With a request body like this:

  <disk>
    <alias>newalias</alias>
  </disk>

Note that you can use the above "v3" prefix in the URL or else the
"Version: 3" header. A complete example using curl:

---8<---
#!/bin/bash -ex

url="https://.../ovirt-engine/api"
user="admin at internal"
password="..."
vm_id="..."
disk_id="..."

curl \
--verbose \
--cacert "ca.pem" \
--header "Version: 3" \
--header "Content-Type: application/xml" \
--user "${user}:${password}" \
--request PUT \
--data "
<disk>