[ovirt-users] oVirt Nested Virtualization

Sandro Bonazzola sbonazzo at redhat.com
Mon Mar 6 12:58:38 UTC 2017

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 9:20 AM, Luca 'remix_tj' Lorenzetto <
lorenzetto.luca at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 2:43 PM, Barak Korren <bkorren at redhat.com> wrote:
> > oVirt system tests are indeed using nested virtualization, but it is
> > done to run oVirt nested on top of a stand-alone KVM host, and not to
> > run nested stuff on top of oVirt.
> >
> > The steps Fred specified can be done manually on all hosts, but oVirt
> > offers a slightly more automated alternative. Simply install the
> > following vdsm hooks (available as packages) on all hosts:
> >
> >     vdsm-hook-macspoof
> >     vdsm-hook-nestedvt
> >
> > And then reboot the hosts (You will need to put hosts into maintenance
> > mode to do that).
> >

> Hello,
>
> the packages you're referring are not available through yum on hosts.
> I've seen that only specific packages are included from repos, does
> these packages are excluded?

ovirt-node is designed to just update itself as a firmware.
any additional packages is treated as 3rd party rpm which will be persisted
on upgrade.
In order to install the hooks on node you need to enable the ovirt
repositories in /etc/yum.repos.d

For installing the hooks on al new hosts during deploy you can do on the
engine host / vm:
# echo  vdsm-hook-macspoof >
/usr/share/ovirt-host-deploy/plugins/ovirt-host-deploy/vdsmhooks/packages.d/vdsm-hook-macspoof.centos
# echo  vdsm-hook-nestedvt >
/usr/share/ovirt-host-deploy/plugins/ovirt-host-deploy/vdsmhooks/packages.d/vdsm-hook-nestedvt.centos

And whenever you'll add a new node, those packages will be installed. Just
remember to enable the repository before adding the new host to the engine.
Packages and configuration will be persisted on upgrade.

> Luca
>

> --
> "E' assurdo impiegare gli uomini di intelligenza eccellente per fare
> calcoli che potrebbero essere affidati a chiunque se si usassero delle
> macchine"
> Gottfried Wilhelm von Leibnitz, Filosofo e Matematico (1646-1716)
>
> "Internet è la più grande biblioteca del mondo.
> Ma il problema è che i libri sono tutti sparsi sul pavimento"
> John Allen Paulos, Matematico (1945-vivente)
>
> Luca 'remix_tj' Lorenzetto, http://www.remixtj.net , <
> lorenzetto.luca at gmail.com>

--
Sandro Bonazzola