[ovirt-users] ovirt-engine-sdk-python-4.1 clone a vm from snapshot

Juan Hernández jhernand at redhat.com
Wed Mar 8 18:18:42 UTC 2017

On 03/08/2017 06:53 PM, Niyazi Elvan wrote:
> Hi Folks !
>
> I am looking for a documentation for ovirt-engine-sdk-python-4.1 but
> could not find anything yet. Looks like there are many changes compared
> to 4.0.

Version 4.1 of the SDK isn't very different for version 4.0. It is very
different from version 3.6.

Note that version 3 of the API, and version 3 of the SDK are deprecated
since version 4.0 of the engine, and they will be removed in version 4.2
of the engine.

There is a general description of version 4 of the SDK here:

  https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-engine-sdk/blob/master/sdk/README.adoc

A collection of examples here:

  https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-engine-sdk/tree/master/sdk/examples

And reference documentation here:

  http://ovirt.github.io/ovirt-engine-sdk/4.1

You may also find useful the documentation of the API itself:

  http://ovirt.github.io/ovirt-engine-api-model/4.1

Specially the section that describes how to add virtual machines, as
there is an example of how to add a virtual machine from a snapshot there:

http://ovirt.github.io/ovirt-engine-api-model/4.1/#services/vms/methods/add

> Can anyone help me about how to clone a VM from a snapshot using the
> latest sdk ?

To create a virtual machine from a snapshot with the latest version of
the SDK you will need something like this:

---8<---
import time

import ovirtsdk4 as sdk
import ovirtsdk4.types as types

# This example shows how to clone a virtual machine from an snapshot.

# Create the connection to the server:
connection = sdk.Connection(
    url='https://engine.example.com/ovirt-engine/api',
    username='admin at internal',
    password='...',
    ca_file='ca.pem'
)

# Get the reference to the root of the tree of services:
system_service = connection.system_service()

# Find the virtual machine:
vms_service = system_service.vms_service()
vm = vms_service.list(search='name=myvm')[0]

# Find the service that manages the virtual machine:
vm_service = vms_service.vm_service(vm.id)

# Find the snapshot. Note that the snapshots collection doesn't support
# search, so we need to retrieve the complete list and the look for the
# snapshot that has the description that we are looking for.
snaps_service = vm_service.snapshots_service()
snaps = snaps_service.list()
snap = next(
  (s for s in snaps if s.description == 'mysnap'),
  None
)

# Create a new virtual machine, cloning it from the snapshot:
cloned_vm = vms_service.add(
    vm=types.Vm(
        name='myclonedvm',
        snapshots=[
            types.Snapshot(
                id=snap.id
            )
        ],
        cluster=types.Cluster(
            name='mycluster'
        )
    )
)

# Find the service that manages the cloned virtual machine:
cloned_vm_service = vms_service.vm_service(cloned_vm.id)

# Wait till the virtual machine is down, as that means that the creation
# of the disks of the virtual machine has been completed:
while True:
    time.sleep(5)
    cloned_vm = cloned_vm_service.get()
    if cloned_vm.status == types.VmStatus.DOWN:
        break

# Close the connection to the server:
connection.close()
--->8---