[ovirt-users] HE vm fails to migrate due to host CPU incompatibility even after changing cluster CPU type

Stefano Stagnaro stefanos at prismatelecomtesting.com
Thu Mar 9 17:53:19 UTC 2017

On mer, 2017-03-08 at 13:58 +0100, Simone Tiraboschi wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 1:02 PM, Sandro Bonazzola <sbonazzo at redhat.com> wrote:
>

>         On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 12:04 PM, Stefano Stagnaro <stefanos at prismatelecomtesting.com> wrote:
>                 Hi guys,
>
>                 I've started an oVirt 4.1 HE deployment on a Broadwell based server. Then I added to HE a second, older host based on Nehalem. I've downgraded the cluster CPU type to Nehalem to accommodate host2 and it finally reached score 3400. However, when I try to migrate HE vm it fails with the following error:
>
>                 2017-03-03 20:19:51,814 ERROR (migsrc/b0d38435) [virt.vm] (vmId='b0d38435-5774-4ca9-ad24-70b57b5bc25d') unsupported configuration: guest and host CPU are not compatible: Host CPU does not provide required features: pclmuldq, fma, pcid, x2apic, movbe, tsc-deadline, aes, xsave, avx, fsgsbase, bmi1, hle, avx2, smep, bmi2, erms, invpcid, rtm, rdseed, adx, smap, 3dnowprefetch; try using 'Broadwell-noTSX' CPU model (migration:265)
>
>                 I believe the problem is in the HE vm XML where the cpu is still configured as Broadwell. how can I change this specific setting without losing the deployment? Please find all the relevant logs at the following link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/njl9aofhdw10ses/AADf2Ql4GKVIKcbgLivbmjC2a
>
>                 Besides that, I believe this is a wrong behavior because HE should follow cluster properties (otherwise do not reach score 3400); do you believe is it worth opening a issue on bugzilla?
>

>         I would consider opening a BZ to track this. Adding some people who may have some insight on the issue.
>

> The definition for the engine VM is getting extracted by ovirt-ha-agent from the OVF_STORE volume, not sure why the engine doesn't update it when you change cluster properties. I think it's work to fill a bug.
> Stefano, did you tried simply changing the number of cores for the engine VM from the engine to force a configuration update?
>

>                 Thank you,
>                 Stefano.

>         --
>         Sandro Bonazzola
>         Better technology. Faster innovation. Powered by community collaboration.
>         See how it works at redhat.com

Hi Simone,

I tried to change the number of cores and, after a reboot, the cpu model has changed to Nehalem. The HostedEngine vm is now migrating correctly.

I will open a ticket anyway pointing to this specific behavior.

Thank you very much for the support!

--
Stefano Stagnaro

Prisma Telecom Testing S.r.l.