[ovirt-users] hosted engine without the appliance?

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Wed Mar 15 06:51:10 UTC 2017

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 7:49 PM, Devin A. Bougie
<devin.bougie at cornell.edu> wrote:
> Hi, All.  Is it still possible or supported to run a hosted engine without using the oVirt Engine Appliance?  In other words, to install our own OS on a VM and have it act as a hosted engine?  "hosted-engine --deploy" now seems to insist on using the oVirt Engine Appliance, but if it's possible and not a mistake we'd prefer to run and manage our own OS.

Indeed:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1366183

After installation, the vm acts like a normal machine. You can
install/remove packages and configure stuff as you wish.

In principle it should not be hard to build your own appliance and use it.

Best,
--
Didi