[ovirt-users] virt-manager not able to connect to my ovirt-instance

Alexander Wels awels at redhat.com
Thu Mar 16 18:32:41 UTC 2017

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 4:54:54 AM EDT John Joseph wrote:
> Thanks Paul,
> I have tried opening it using "remote-viewer", but I get error message as
>
> "Unable to connect to the graphic server /tmp/mozilla_saji0/console.vvCould
> not connect to 192.168.59.95: No route to host" This has something to do
> with the permission than, route issues, because I can access the server
> through the browser as well as I can ping it also I have to see what
> permissions or port blocked at the ovirt server level Thanks
> Joseph John

Yes you should use the remote viewer. The manager itself is not running the
VMs, the hosts are running the VMs. So what happens when you click on the
console button is that it generates a .vv file which your browser then
downloads. If you associate remote-viewer with the .vv files it will attempt
to connect to the *HOST* running the VM. Now its entirely possible your
network topology doesn't allow you to connect to the host, while the manager
(engine) is allowed to connect to the host.

If this is the case you need to configure a proxy on the engine that forwards
to the host. Since we don't know your topology we can't say much more. But in
general your browser connects to the engine which shows you the admin UI. Then
when you want to connect with a console to a VM, your computer (remote-viewer)
tries to connect to the host.

The message you are seeing is telling me you can't connect to the host.

Alexander