[ovirt-users] Cluster upgrade from 3.6 to 4.1 fails

Michal Skrivanek michal.skrivanek at redhat.com
Fri Mar 17 19:33:22 UTC 2017

> On 17 Mar 2017, at 11:55, jvdwege <jvdwege at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> As per the subject I'm trying to upgrade my ovirt install and sofar the upgrade has been smooth.
> I'm running hosted-engine in Centos7.3 and my hosts are running Fedora24 now with ovirt-4.1
> If I try to upgrade my cluster from version 3.6 to 4.0 or 4.1 I receive an error message and can't find a solution using google. First I get the following message:
>
> All running VMs will be temporarily reconfigured to use the previous cluster compatibility version and marked pending configuration change.
> In order to change the cluster compatibility version of the VM to a new version, the VM needs to be manually shut down and restarted.
> There are 1 running VM(s) affected by this change.
>
> Are you sure you want to change the Cluster Compatibility Version?
>
> Yes, I want to change version :-) so I click OK
> I then get the following error message:
>
> Error while executing action:
>
> Cannot edit Cluster. Illegal number of monitors is provided, max allowed number of monitors is 1 for VNC and the max number in the ValidNumOfMonitors configuration variable for SPICE.
> Cannot edit VM. Illegal number of monitors is provided, max allowed number of monitors is 1 for VNC and the max number in the ValidNumOfMonitors configuration variable for SPICE.
>
> Anyone has seen this before and is able to help?

Is that an old VM, perhaps from 3.5 or even earlier? Has it been restarted since? Can you shut it down now and rerun after the cluster change? That would likely be the most simple resolution.
If there are troubles even after the VM is Down try to edit and swithc console from VNC to SPICE or vice versa and run again

Thanks,
michal