[ovirt-users] How to deploy hosted-engine to the second and later host machines

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Tue Mar 21 06:29:34 UTC 2017

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 5:44 PM, Tatsuya <suginami at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear lan and Didi
>
>> Found a working option to get second and subsequent hosts deployed with
>> ovirt 4.1
>>
>> 1-Set second host into maintenance
>> 2-highlight second host and choose "Installation --> Reinstall", edit
>> params in popup and click OK
>> 3-Ignore warning that pops up and watch the vdsm.log or look for
>> "Installing" status in webui
>> 4-It should show you that the install is running, keep watching vdsm.log.
>> 5-Click 'ok' on warning and wait patiently for install to finish.
>>
>> Second node comes up and is active.
>
>> No, sorry for not being clear. I referred to the engine web admin ui
>> (and also API/SDK). Thanks, Ian, for your reply explaining this.
>
> I apologize for this late reply.I had been trying again from reinstalling
> the host.
>
> Thanks to you, I was able to install HostedEngine in second and subsequent
> hosts.
> I think that I could not find this option by myself.

Even if you never heard about hosted-engine in previous versions and 4.1
was your first attempt? Any suggestions for improvement to make it easier
to find?

> I'm grateful for your support.

You might want to open one or more RFEs for some clarifications in the
interface - both command line and cockpit - e.g. that if the storage
domain is not empty, a message will be emitted saying something like:
"To add this host as an additional one to an existing hosted-engine HA
cluster, please use the engine web administration ui or the API/SDK".

Best,
--
Didi