[ovirt-users] Python-SDK: ovirtsdk4.Connection object autologout?

Juan Hernández jhernand at redhat.com
Wed Mar 22 12:50:05 UTC 2017

On 03/22/2017 01:10 PM, nicolas at devels.es wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've recently upgraded from oVirt 4.0.x to 4.1.0 and it seems that the
> behavior of a script we wrote in Python-SDK has changed slightly. We
> have a script that needs to be executed forever (daemon mode). This
> daemon creates an ovirtsdk4.Connection object and uses the same
> Connection object all the time.
>
> conn = sdk.Connection(
>   url=URI,
>   username=USERNAME,
>   password=PASSWORD,
>   ca_file=CAFILE
> )
>
> Between iterations we have ~5 minutes delays which we accomplish with a
> time.sleep(...) call.
>
> After some of these iterations (5 or 6), when trying to perform an
> operation on the Connection object (in this case, listing all SDs):
>
>     try:
>         sys_serv = conn.system_service()
>         sd_serv = sys_serv.storage_domains_service()
>         storages = sd_serv.list(search=sd_search_query)
>     except Error, e:
>         log('ERR: Error getting storage domains: %s' % (e))
>
> We start getting exceptions (i.e., the sd_serv.list() call throwing an
> Error exception) with this message:
>
>     ERR: Error getting storage domains: HTTP response code is 401.
>
> I believe this has something to do with the Connection object expiring
> (even if it's not idle more than 5 minutes at any time). Is there a way
> to "refresh" the Connection object so it doesn't auto-logout (assuming
> this is the actual problem)?
>
> As I said, this started happening as of oVirt 4.1.0.
> ovirt-engine-sdk-python version is 4.1.1.
>
> Any ideas?

This sound like this bug, opened yesterday:

  SSO token used for the API expires when running only queries
  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1434605

But I thought the same happened in 4.0. Can you confirm that you don't
see this problem in 4.0?

Open possible workaround is to force a refresh of the backend session
sending an external event, like in this example:

https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-engine-sdk/blob/master/sdk/examples/vm_backup.py#L112-L131

I also think that we need to modify the SDKs so that they detect expired
SSO tokens and renew them automatically. I will open another bug for that.