[ovirt-users] ovirt-shell backup

Juan Hernández jhernand at redhat.com
Thu Mar 23 19:05:33 UTC 2017

On 03/23/2017 02:40 PM, Marcin Kruk wrote:
> Hello is it possible to execute below actions from the ovirth-shell:
> 1. Make snapshot
> ( ovirt-shell -E 'add snapshot --parent-vm-name <vmname> --description
> <desc> )
> 2. Make clone from snaphot above
> ( ? )
> 3. Export clone
> ( ? )

The ovirt-shell tools is deprecated since version 4.0 of oVirt, and will
be removed in version 4.2. I suggest that you avoid using it, and
consider using the Ansible modules:

  http://docs.ansible.com/ansible/list_of_cloud_modules.html#ovirt

Or one of the SDKs:

  Python: https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-engine-sdk
  Ruby: https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-engine-sdk-ruby
  Java: https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-engine-sdk-java

In particular these SDK examples may be of interest:

https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-engine-sdk/blob/master/sdk/examples/add_vm_snapshot.py

https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-engine-sdk/blob/master/sdk/examples/clone_vm_from_snapshot.py

If you still want to use ovirt-shell, then it should be something like this:

  add snapshot --parent-vm-name myvm --description mysnap

That will return the snapshot data, including the id, take note of it,
and then:

  add vm --name mynewvm --snapshots-snapshot
"snapshot.id=the_id_of_the_snapshot" --cluster-name mycluster