[ovirt-users] Best Storage Option: iSCSI/NFS/GlusterFS?

Charles Tassell ctassell at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 06:20:58 UTC 2017

Hi Everyone,

   I'm about to setup an oVirt cluster with two hosts hitting a Linux
storage server.  Since the Linux box can provide the storage in pretty
much any form, I'm wondering which option is "best." Our primary focus
is on reliability, with performance being a close second.  Since we will
only be using a single storage server I was thinking NFS would probably
beat out GlusterFS, and that NFSv4 would be a better choice than NFSv3.
I had assumed that that iSCSI would be better performance wise, but from
what I'm seeing online that might not be the case.

   Our servers will be using a 1G network backbone for regular traffic
and a dedicated 10G backbone with LACP for redundancy and extra
bandwidth for storage traffic if that makes a difference.

   I'll probably try to do some performance benchmarks with 2-3 options,
but the reliability issue is a little harder to test for.  Has anyone
had any particularly bad experiences with a particular storage option?
We have been using iSCSI with a Dell MD3x00 SAN and have run into a
bunch of issues with the multipath setup, but that won't be a problem
with the new SAN since it's only got a single controller interface.