[ovirt-users] Force-Shutdown a VM?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Thu May 4 16:23:36 UTC 2017

Dan,

On Thu, May 4, 2017 12:07 pm, Dan Yasny wrote:
> On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 11:47 AM, Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:
>
>> Okay, I'll bite.  Which button is that?
>>
>> I'm in the Virtual Machines tab on the admin portal; I select the hung
>> VM
>> from my list and I see the following items at the top of the page:
>> "New VM", "Import", "Edit", "Remove", "Clone VM", "Run Once", "<Run>",
>> "<Suspend>", "<Shutdown>", "<Reboot>", "<Console>", "Migrate", "Cancel
>> Migration", "Cancel Conversion", and then the right arrow to "Make
>> Template", "Export", "Create Snapshot", "Change CD", "Assign Tags", and
>> "Guide Me".
>>
>> Please, kind sir, which one is the "power off" instead of "shutdown"?
>>

> While I do not appreciate your tone of conversation, I'll oblige, assuming
> you haven't had your morning coffee yet. Right click the VM, the option is
> right there. See the screenshot attached

Aha, so there is a hidden context menu with additional options..  THAT was
the key.  Thank you.  I was unaware of a right-click context menu for VMs
(or indeed anywhere in the webui).  Is this documented somewhere?

As for my tone, don't you think I had looked for a "power off" button?
Your first reply was, while 100% correct, completely useless is helping.
Of course I wanted power off; I couldn't find it.  THIS message, thank
you, provided what I needed.

> Just so you are aware, power off pulls the plug out of the VM, it kills it
> outright, so the effect will be just as if you've lost power to it. It is
> generally healthier to solve the shutdown problem.

I am very aware, thank you.  I've been running VMs since, oh, 1993.  My
last system was a vmware-based solution which I had in production for
about a decade.  (It had a "power off" button in plain sight, by the way).

I spent an hour trying various ways to gracefully shut the system down
before I emailed, but the VM was completely wedged, not responding to
keyboard or mouse events.  I tried soft reboot and soft shutdown to no
avail.  I tried sending Ctl-Alt-Del, to no avail...  Power Off is, of
course, a last resort, but I couldn't find the option (until you pointed
me to the right-click context menu, so again, thank you).  I'll note that
even a google for "ovirt power off guest" does not provide the hint about
the right-click context menu.

> Here's a hint, this isn't about Windows 10, but might hit close the mark
> nonetheless:
> https://serverfault.com/questions/844188/shut-down-windows-server-2012r2-kvm-vm/845521#845521

I can look into this, but I don't think it would help this situation; like
I said, the machine was completely wedged.  Also, the machine auto-logs-in
so there is always a "user", so again, probably not applicable to my
situation.

Thanks Again!!

-derek