[ovirt-users] Force-Shutdown a VM?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Mon May 8 15:11:56 UTC 2017

Hi Michal,

Michal Skrivanek <michal.skrivanek at redhat.com> writes:

>> On 5 May 2017, at 16:42, Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:
>>
>> Kai,
>>
>> Kai Wagner <kwagner at suse.com> writes:
>>
>>> Just click twice on the "shutdown" button -> this will kill the VM process
>>> immediately
>>
>> Is this documented somewhere?  In googling various terms like "power
>> off", "force shutdown", etc I didn't find this trick anywhere (nor did I
>> find the right-click menu).  My searching did come up with the "Reboot"
>> feature which was supposed to force-shutdown after a timeout, but that
>> is apparently not implemented yet.
>
> Hi Derek,
> it is implemented, it may not work as supposed to though:)
> Did you try it, how long did you wait, was the VM completely stuck or
> services were supposed to be running ok, do you have guest-agent
> running in the guest?

The VM was completely stuck..  Connecting to the console I'd see an
image but the "clock" was frozen, the mouse wouldn't move, and it
wouldn't respond to any keypresses.  The VM guest normally does run the
guest agent tools, but I suspect they were not repsonding at all.

What I tried:

1) The reboot button.
2) The shutdown button.
3) The shutdown button again (still only a single click).
4) (after this thread) Right Click -> Power Off

I have not tried clicking twice on the shutdown button.  If this VM
hangs again I can try it again.  I don't know what caused the VM to hang
so I'm not sure exactly how to reproduce this issue.

In terms of the "reboot" feature that I claim not not be implemented,
I'm referring to [0].  The documentation of this feature claims that it
will timeout and force a power off.  Assuming the current reboot is this
feature, it did not do that.  Interestingly, as I re-read this page now
it DOES mention the context menu and a "power off" feature!

Thank you,

> Thanks,
> michal

-derek

[0] http://www.ovirt.org/develop/release-management/features/engine/guest-reboot/

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745