[ovirt-users] Engine gone crazy

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Tue May 9 08:23:57 UTC 2017

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 11:08 AM, Fred Rolland <frolland at redhat.com> wrote:
> Restarting the engine solved the issue.
> It is a Local DC. The IP of the host was changed, and though it is
> configured as FQDN in Ovirt, things got weird...

Also Erick replied in private, saying:
> Yes yes
>
> Problem was connectivity, stupid me used a FQDN  for the host
> (don't do that folks ) and by mistake changed the IP and all went caput.
>
> Solved by puting the ip back to the FQDN for the host and resolved
> by restarting the engine appeareanty got confused.
>
> Thanks to frolland helped me on irc

Thanks for the report!

Was the name configure in DNS? Or in /etc/hosts? If in DNS, what TTL
was used?

I'd say if the engine caches the lookup result more than the TTL it's
a bug and should be fixed. It should be possible to change IP address
of hosts without restarting the engine.

What would configuring in the engine the host's IP address instead
of FQDN would have saved you? It would still not work, and you'll
have one more place to fix.

If you do not (want to) trust your DNS servers, you should fix them...
You can also have important stuff in /etc/hosts. No idea what the
caching rules for that are, but IMO it should not be more than a few
seconds.

Best,

> On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 10:29 AM, Yedidyah Bar David <didi at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 10:14 AM, Erick Vogeler <erickvogeler at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > here are some pics:
>> > https://i.imgur.com/hfJM6PG.png
>> >
>> > machines show down although they are up
>> > https://i.imgur.com/NkHisyr.png
>> >
>> > Engine Log:
>> >
>> > https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4wHJ6nwLi9BcE5INXRJSVpPSHM/view?usp=sharing
>> >
>> > VDSM Log:
>> >
>> > https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4wHJ6nwLi9BNFlvb1llNE5Yb2s/view?usp=sharing
>> >

>> Are you sure this is a log from the host having problems?
>>
>> > Please help me get this back on thank you all
>>
>> Perhaps check storage and connectivity.
>> Perhaps check also vdsm log of other hosts.

>> --
>> Didi

Didi