[ovirt-users] ansible and list of vms

Ondra Machacek omachace at redhat.com
Wed May 10 11:14:52 UTC 2017

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 12:38 PM, Nathanaël Blanchet <blanchet at abes.fr>
wrote:

> Le 10/05/2017 à 10:29, Ondra Machacek a écrit :
>
> Not sure I understand. You can use Ansible module to list VMs, you
> can use ovirt_vms _facts[1] module.
>
> For example to get only stopped VMs, you can use following:
>
> - name: Get stopped VMs
>   ovirt_vms_facts:
>     auth:
>       url: https://ovirt.example.com/ovirt-engine/api
>       username: admin at internal
>       password: password
>       ca_file: /etc/pki/ovirt-engine/ca.pem
>     pattern: "status = down"
>
> I want a list of vms sorted by any possible attributes, i.e. sorted by
> datacenter or cluster, not only by status.
>
>    - For example, ovirt_vms_facts doesn't allow to get the datacenter the
>    vm belongs to , and the pattern filter doesn't return a list of vms as
>    expected:
>

> - hosts: localhost
>   connection: local
>   tasks:
>   - name: Get stopped VMs
>     ovirt_vms_facts:
>       auth:
>         url: https://acore.v100.abes.fr/ovirt-engine/api
>         username: admin at internal
>         password: ovirt123
>         insecure: true
>         pattern: name=centos* and cluster=west
>   - debug:
>       var: ovirt_vms
>   - shell: echo "{{ ovirt_vms.name }}"

Ok, I understand, now.
You have few options here.
If you want for example only VMs from datacenter 'X', you can use following:

- hosts: localhost
  connection: local
  tasks:
  - name: Get VMs from datacenter X
    ovirt_vms_facts:
      pattern: datacenter=X
      auth:
        url: https://acore.v100.abes.fr/ovirt-engine/api
        username: admin at internal
        password: ovirt123
        insecure: true
  - debug:
      msg: "{{ ovirt_vms | map(attribute='name') | list }}"

> How can I successfully display this list of vms like described here :
> name description returned type sample
> ovirt_vms List of dictionaries describing the VMs. VM attribues are
> mapped to dictionary keys, all VMs attributes can be found at following
> url: https://ovirt.example.com/ovirt-engine/api/model#types/vm. On
> success. list
>

>    - About the python SDK:
>
> list_vms.py could be what I expect, but vm.datacenter_name doesn't exist

Yes, because the 'data_center' parameter isn't part of the VM type. Take a
look here[1],
you will find there all attributes the VM has. As you can see there is no
'datacenter', but
there is a 'cluster', but as said in documentation, it's just a reference
to the cluster. That
means that it contains the ID of the cluster and the 'href' to the cluster,
so you can get
the cluster object by following that reference using this code:

 vm_cluster = connection.follow_link(vm.cluster)
 print vm_cluster.name

 # Same for datacenter:
 vm_dc = connection.follow_link(vm_cluster.data_center)
 print vm_dc.name

What you need to understand is, what is the difference between the 'full'
object and the reference to the object. It's good to take a look at the XML
output of the API and learn to read the API specification documentation,
when working with oVirt Ansible and Python SDK.

[1] http://ovirt.github.io/ovirt-engine-api-model/master/#types/vm

> [1] http://docs.ansible.com/ansible/ovirt_vms_facts_module.html
>
> On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 10:13 AM, Nathanaël Blanchet <blanchet at abes.fr>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, I knew this python script, but I believed it was possible to do
>> the same with an ansible module.
>>
>> That's mean we need several tools to do different tasks, it is not a very
>> convergent way to proceed... but it is feasable.
>>
>> Le 10/05/2017 à 07:56, Ondra Machacek a écrit :
>>

>> On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 6:52 PM, Nathanaël Blanchet <blanchet at abes.fr>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I didn't find anyway to easy list all my vms thanks to the ansible
>>> modules...
>>> I tried the ovirt4.py script which is able to list the whole facts, so
>>> vms list, when the number of them is small in a test datacenter, but in a
>>> production datacenter, I get an issue:
>>>
>>>   File "./ovirt4.py", line 262, in <module>
>>>     main()
>>>   File "./ovirt4.py", line 254, in main
>>>     vm_name=args.host,
>>>   File "./ovirt4.py", line 213, in get_data
>>>     vms[name] = get_dict_of_struct(connection, vm)
>>>   File "./ovirt4.py", line 185, in get_dict_of_struct
>>>     (device.name, [ip.address for ip in device.ips]) for device in
>>> devices
>>>   File "./ovirt4.py", line 185, in <genexpr>
>>>     (device.name, [ip.address for ip in device.ips]) for device in
>>> devices
>>> TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not iterable
>>>

>> This error was fixed already, try to download latest ovirt4.py file.
>>
>> The other way is to use fatcs[1] module.
>>
>> [1] http://docs.ansible.com/ansible/ovirt_vms_facts_module.html
>>

>>> What is the simpliest way to get this basic information with sdk4???
>>> (with sdk3 : ovirt-shell -E "list vms")
>>>

>> Please take a look at the following example:
>>
>>  https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-engine-sdk/blob/master/sdk/
>> examples/list_vms.py
>>

>>> --
>>> Nathanaël Blanchet