[ovirt-users] unhappiness with ovirt engine after upgrading file server handling storage domain

Jason Keltz jas at cse.yorku.ca
Wed May 10 18:02:02 UTC 2017

Hi.

I recently upgraded my oVirt infrastructure to the latest
4.1.1.8-1.el7.centos, which went smoothly.  Thanks oVirt team! This
morning, I upgraded my NFS file server which manages the storage
domain.  I stopped ovirt engine, did a yum update to bring the server
from its older CentOS 7.2 release to CentOS 7.3, rebooted it, then
restarted engine.   At that point, engine was unhappy because our 4
virtualization hosts had a total of 30 VMs all waiting to reconnect to
storage.  The status of all the VMs went to unknown in engine.  It took
almost 2 hours before everything was completely normal again.  It seems
that the hosts were available long before engine updated status.  I'm
assuming it's better to restart engine when I know that NFS has resumed
on all the 30 virtalized hosts.  However, it's hard to know when that's
happened, without trying to connect manually to all the hosts.  Is there
a way to warn engine that you're about to mess with the storage domain,
and you don't want it to do anything drastic? Sort of like a
"maintenance mode" for storage?    I would hate for it to start trying
to power off hosts via power management or migrate hosts when it just
needs to wait a bit...

Thanks!

Jason.