[ovirt-users] Ovirt nested in VMware

Michal Skrivanek michal.skrivanek at redhat.com
Fri May 12 11:06:50 UTC 2017

> On 11 May 2017, at 19:52, Mark Duggan <mduggan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> From reading through the mailing list, it does appear that it's possible to have the ovirt nodes/hosts be VMware virtual machines, once I enable the appropriate settings on the VMware side. All seems to have gone well, I can see the hosts in the ovirt interface, but when I attempt to create and start a VM it never gets past printing the SeaBios version and the machine UUID to the screen/console. It doesn't appear to try to boot from the hard disk or an ISO that I've attached.
>
> Has anyone else encountered similar behaviour?

I wouldn’t think you can even get that far.
It may work with full emulation (non-kvm) but we kind of enforce it in oVirt so some changes are likely needed.
Of course even if you succeed it’s going to be hopelessly slow. (or maybe it is indeed working and just runs very slow)

Nested on a KVM hypervisor runs ok

Thanks,
michal