[ovirt-users] User story

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Sat May 13 19:11:36 UTC 2017

Hi,

First of all, thanks for sharing. It's always good to get feedback,
especially when it's balanced and with specific examples and comparisons.

Secondly, I do believe you have touched on what I believe is a conceptual
difference oVirt has, which translates to a gap in the experience you have
described: when managing 2-3 hosts, it is more intuitive and easier to just
configure each separately (and there's very little to configure anyway, and
the number of hosts is low), then to configure on a higher level (in oVirt
case, data center and cluster level) and apply - who needs either when you
have 2-3 hosts, right?

In a sense, the hyper-converged (gdeploy - see
http://www.ovirt.org/blog/2017/04/up-and-running-with-ovirt-4-1-and-gluster-storage/
) provides a good 'day 1' experience I believe - but is indeed limited to
the hyper-converged deployment type. It'd be a good idea to expand it to
the general case of 2-3 hosts, I reckon.

Perhaps we need to go further and somehow hide both data center and cluster
(for X hosts, where X is lower than... 5?) assuming you'd have only a
single DC and a single cluster - and present their options as 'global'?
Once you go above 5 hosts we'll expand the options and display the bigger
hierarchy?

We've had the idea of 'ovirt-lite' years ago, and it never really
materialized - perhaps we should revisit it. I think it's easy
technologically, a bit more challenging to get right the improved user
experience. I can certainly see the use cases of both small labs, remote
offices and proof-of-concept setups.

As for the installation, I would really like to see:
1. Install an OS -or- install oVirt node
2. Go to http://<URL>
3. Installation wizard.

This is exactly (again) what gdeploy provides, as well as hosted-engine -
but we probably need to streamline further more and add regular engine
setup to it.

Thanks again,
Y.