[ovirt-users] Feature: enhanced OVA support

Arik Hadas ahadas at redhat.com
Mon May 15 15:56:06 UTC 2017

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 6:11 PM, Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Arik Hadas <ahadas at redhat.com> writes:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > We would like to share our plan for extending the currently provided
> support
> > for OVA files with:
> > 1. Support for uploading OVA.
> > 2. Support for exporting a VM/template as OVA.
> > 3. Support for importing OVA that was generated by oVirt (today, we only
> > support those that are VMware-compatible).
> > 4. Support for downloading OVA.
> >
> > This can be found on the feature page.
> >
> > Your feedback and cooperation will be highly appreciated.
>
> Sounds like a great plan.
>
> What's the chance that the export would enable an OVA that could be
> loaded back into VMware?

I'm afraid that would be too costly.
As far as I know, there are pretty good conversion tools for converting VMs
from KVM to VMware today [1] (which, btw, I consider to be a strength as
Eduardo mentioned before. we certainly not in favor of vendor lock-in). It
would only make sense for them to support converting the OVA we produce,
much like we extended virt-v2v for converting VMware's OVA not long ago -
and I'm pretty sure they won't object to do this, they have all the
building blocks - getting a VM as a single archive that complies with the
OVA standard should make it easy for them).

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJedam7TJWo (the relevant part starts
at 14:40)