[ovirt-users] Internet access for oVirt Nodes?

Ryan Barry rbarry at redhat.com
Tue May 16 20:01:43 UTC 2017

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 1:09 PM, Matthias Leopold <
matthias.leopold at meduniwien.ac.at> wrote:

> thanks, i guess configuring repositories in oVirt Node can only be
> achieved when using Foreman/Satellite integration, is that correct? i've
> just started to use oVirt Node and i'm beginning to realize that things are
> a _little_ bit different compared to a standard linux host.

Well, yes/no. We whitelist which packages are able to be updated from the
oVirt repositories and disable the base centos repositories, but you can
easily change "enabled=0" to "enabled=1" in any of them, or add your own
repos just like you would with CentOS.

In general, I'd recommend not including updates for any packages which are
part of Node itself, but that decision is yours to make.

> this brings me to another update related question:
> right now oVirt Nodes in my test environment can connect to the internet
> and there recently was an update available which i applied through the
> engine gui, which seemed to finish successfully. i remember wondering how i
> could check what actually changend, there was eg. no kernel change IIRC.
> today i discovered that on both updated hosts /tmp/imgbased.log exists and
> ends in an error:

Node is still an A/B image, so you'd need to reboot in order to see a new
kernel, if it's part of a new image.

> subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['lvcreate', '--thin',
> '--virtualsize', u'8506048512B', '--name', 'ovirt-node-ng-4.1.1.1-0.20170406.0',
> u'HostVG/pool00']' returned non-zero exit status 5
>
> i have to mention i manually partitioned my oVirt Node host when i
> installed it from the installer ISO (because i want to use software raid).
> i used partitioning recommendations from https://bugzilla.redhat.com/sh
> ow_bug.cgi?id=1369874 (doubling size recommendations).

As long as you're thinly provisioned, this should update normally,, though
I have to say that I haven't tried software RAID.

> did my oVirt Node update complete successfully?
> how can i check this?
> why was there an lvcreate error?

I'll try to reproduce this, but attempting the lvcreate by hand may give
some usable debugging information.

> 'imgbase layout' says:
> ovirt-node-ng-4.1.1.1-0.20170406.0
>  +- ovirt-node-ng-4.1.1.1-0.20170406.0+1

If 'imgabase layout' only shows these, then it's likely that it didn't
update. Node uses LVM directly, so "lvm lvs" may show a new device, but
from the command above, I'm guessing it wasn't able to create it. I'd
suspect that it wasn't able to create it because it's the same version, and
LVM sees a duplicate LV. Can you attach your engine log (or the yum log
from the host) so we can see what it pulled?

--

RYAN BARRY

SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER - TEAM LEAD - RHEV HYPERVISOR

Red Hat NA <https://www.redhat.com/>

rbarry at redhat.com    M: +1-651-815-9306     IM: rbarry
<https://red.ht/sig>