[ovirt-users] Building oVirt engine on Debian

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Mon May 29 06:32:14 UTC 2017

On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 6:52 AM, Leni Kadali Mutungi
<lenikmutungi at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have read what is in the README.adoc and done all of it.
> Unfortunately, even with BUILD_ALL_USER_AGENTS=0, my computer would
> still freeze. I had to opt to not build the gwt ui instead. I hope
> it's not too important :P.

It is, eventually, but if you do manage to build without it, then it's
a good step forward, and it most likely means you do need more memory.
I suggest opening a new thread about this specifically, perhaps even
one here (ask what developers are using) and one on infra (ask what CI
uses when building release builds).

If it turns out that at least some people use similar hardware without
problems, it might indeed be an issue specific to your environment -
kernel, swap etc configuration, jdk/jvm, etc.

If possible it might make sense to try an identical build on a centos7
VM just to see it's not a hardware problem (although I can't think of
anything that will trigger such a problem).

> Build went on fine. Ran into this issue:
>
> install: cannot create regular file
> '/usr/local/etc/logrotate.d/ovirt-engine-setup': Permission denied
> install: cannot create regular file
> '/usr/local/etc/logrotate.d/ovirt-engine-notifier': Permission denied
> install: cannot create regular file
> '/usr/local/etc/logrotate.d/ovirt-engine': Permission denied
> Makefile:301: recipe for target 'copy-recursive' failed
> make[2]: *** [copy-recursive] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/user/ovirt-engine'
> Makefile:420: recipe for target 'install-packaging-files' failed
> make[1]: *** [install-packaging-files] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/user/ovirt-engine'
> Makefile:521: recipe for target 'install-dev' failed
> make: *** [install-dev] Error 2
>
> So usually I'd solve this by running as root, but since you've advised
> against it, what should I do to give the normal user permission to run
> this operation since the folder is owned by root and the group is
> staff? My looking through other responses to similar situations
> indicates to me that giving the non-root user access to this folder
> isn't recommended. What would be the best solution in my case?

I guess most if not all developers simply use PREFIX that points at a
writable place - ~/my-ovirt-engine or something like that. That's
mentioned in the readme, and also in:

http://www.ovirt.org/develop/developer-guide/engine/engine-development-environment/

Best,

> --