[ovirt-users] unsuccessful hosted engine install

Sandro Bonazzola sbonazzo at redhat.com
Tue May 30 07:17:41 UTC 2017

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 6:49 AM, Brendan Hartzell <mrrex4 at gmail.com> wrote:

> oVirt users list,
>
> Long story short, I've been spending weeks on this project for my home lab
> with no success.
>
> I would like to successfully install two nodes that host a highly
> available engine with an iSCSI storage back-end.
>
> I have read through most, if not all, of the guides on ovirt.org with no
> substantial help.
>
> Successfully, I have done the following:
> Install oVirt Engine on a bare metal system, added a node, and started
> exploring - not desired.
> Install oVirt Node 4.0.6 on a bare metal system - fails if partitions are
> not done automatically.
> Install oVirt Node 4.1.2 on a bare metal system - fails if partitions are
> not done automatically.

Can you please elaborate about the failure you see here and how are you
trying to manually partition the host?

> My process after installing a Node:
> Run a yum update - just to be sure, but I am using latest iso images from
> downloads section.
> Edit /etc/hosts for local name resolution - the goal is to host DNS as a
> virtual machine, eventually.
> On 4.1 if I install ovirt-engine-appliance from yum, it does simplify one
> step in the hosted engine setup.  If I do this on 4.0 it discards the image
> and uses the default.

Being this a new install, please use 4.1. oVirt 4.0 is not supported
anymore.

> On 4.1 the hosted engine setup fails immediately unless I run the hosted
> engine cleanup from the shell.

Can you please provide hosted engine setup logs or better a full sos
report? (sosreport -a)

>   If I do this, I can typically get to the point of installing.
>
> When I do get to the installation phase, I get to a point just after
> extracting the OVA that I get a message on the shell saying something about
> the watchdog running the whole time and then the node reboots.
>
> I found one email thread that sounded like my issue and suggested the
> following commands:
> vdsm-tool configure --force
> systemctl restart libvirtd
> systemctl restart vdsmd
>
> Unfortunately, these commands did not help my situation like the other
> individual.
>
> What log file would everyone like to see first?  Given that I still
> consider myself relatively new to Linux, please identify the path for the
> log file requested.

See above

> Also, because I plan on performing a clean install for this thread using
> my process from above (I'm not expecting my outcome to be any different),
> are there any tips and tricks that might result in a success?

I'd like to understand the issues you faced before suggesting to restart
from scratch.
Adding some people who may help as well.

> Thank you for any and all help,
> Brendan

SANDRO BONAZZOLA

ASSOCIATE MANAGER, SOFTWARE ENGINEERING, EMEA ENG VIRTUALIZATION R&D

Red Hat EMEA <https://www.redhat.com/>
<https://red.ht/sig>
TRIED. TESTED. TRUSTED. <https://redhat.com/trusted>