[ovirt-users] unsuccessful hosted engine install

Sandro Bonazzola sbonazzo at redhat.com
Wed May 31 06:42:19 UTC 2017

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 4:45 AM, Brendan Hartzell <mrrex4 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you please elaborate about the failure you see here and how are you
> trying to manually partition the host?
>
> Sure, I will start from the beginning.
> - Using: ovirt-node-ng-installer-ovirt-4.1-2017052604 <(201)%20705-2604>
> .iso
> - During installation I setup one of the two interfaces and check the box
> to automatically use the connection.
> - I'm currently providing a host name of node-1.test.net until I have a
> successful process.
> - I configure date and time for my timezone and to use an internal NTP
> server.
> - On Installation Destination, I pick my 128GB USB3.0 SanDisk flash drive,
> check the box that I would like to make additional space, and click done.
> In the reclaim disk space window, I click delete all, and then reclaim
> space.  I go back into the Installation Destination, select that I will
> configure partitioning, and click done.  The Manual Partitioning window
> opens, I use the option to automatically create mount points.

In this screen, please change partitioning scheme from LVM to LVM Thin
Provisioning: it should solve your following error.

>   At this point, /boot is 1024MB, /var is 15GB, / is 88.11 GB, and swap is
> 11.57GB.  I then change / to 23.11 GB, update settings, change /var to
> 80GB, update settings again, and click done.  I accept the changes and
> begin installation.
>
> I tried these changes based on this article: http://www.ovirt.org/
> documentation/self-hosted/chap-Deploying_Self-Hosted_Engine/
>
> The article does say that you can specify a different directory than
> /var/tmp, but I don't recall seeing that option.

If the setup detects not enough space in /var/tmp for extracting the
appliance it will ask about a different directory.

> After some time, I get the following error:
> There was an error running the kickstart script at line 7.  This is a
> fatal error and installation will be aborted.  The details of this error
> are:
>
> [INFO] Trying to create a manageable base from '/'
> [ERROR] LVM Thin Provisioning partitioning scheme is required.  For
> autoinstall via Kickstart with LVM Thin Provisioning check options
> --thinpool and --grow.  Please consult documentation for details.

^^ this one should be solved by the LVM Thin Provisioning scheme mentioned
above..

> [...]
> File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/imgbased/__main__.py", line 51, in
> <module> CliApplication()
> File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/imgbased/__init__.py", line 82, in
> CliApplication()
> File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/imgbased/hooks.py", line 120, in
> emit cb(self.context, *args)
> File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/imgbased/plugins/core.py", line
> 169, in post_argparse layout.initialize(args.source, args.init_nvr)
> File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/imgbased/plugins/core.py", line
> 216, in initialize self.app.imgbase.init_layout_from(source, init_nvr)
> File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/imgbased/imgbase.py", line 271, in
> init_layout_from self.init_tags_on(existing_lv)
> File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/imgbased/imgbase.py", line 243, in
> init_tags_on pool = lv.thinpool()
> File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/imgbased/lvm.py", line 250, in
> thinpool raise MissingLvmThinPool() imgbased.lvm.MissingLvmThinPool
>
> At this point, the only option is to exit the installer.
>
> ****************************
>
> Being this a new install, please use 4.1. oVirt 4.0 is not supported
> anymore.
>
> Not a problem.
>
> ****************************
>
> Can you please provide hosted engine setup logs or better a full sos
> report? (sosreport -a)
>
> Again, the process I'm following:
> - Using: ovirt-node-ng-installer-ovirt-4.1-2017052604 <(201)%20705-2604>
> .iso
> - During installation I setup one of the two interfaces and check the box
> to automatically use the connection.
> - I'm currently providing a host name of node-1.test.net until I have a
> successful process.
> - I configure date and time for my timezone and to use an internal NTP
> server.
> - On Installation Destination, I pick my 128GB USB3.0 SanDisk flash drive,
> check the box that I would like to make additional space, and click done.
> In the reclaim disk space window, I click delete all, and then reclaim
> space.
> - Begin Installation and set a root password.
> - Perform a yum update - no packages marked for update (as expected)
> - Use vi to update /etc/hosts with a reference for node-1.test.net and
> engine.test.net
> - First attempt at hosted-engine from web-UI
> - Setup downloads and installs ovirt-engine-appliance-4.1-20170523.1.el7.
> centos.noarch.rpm
> *Failed to execute stage 'Environment setup': Failed to reconfigure
> libvirt for VDSM
> *Hosted Engine deployment failed
> - Attached SOS report
> The checksum is: aa56097edc0b63c49caaf1a1fde021bc
>
> At this point, I would run ovirt-hosted-engine-cleanup and I would get
> further along in the install process.  However, because this is a fresh
> install, I'm going to leave things here for now so you can review the SOS.

Thanks for the SOS report!
Hosted Engine setup fails on:

2017-05-30 19:24:39 DEBUG otopi.plugins.gr_he_setup.system.vdsmenv
plugin.execute:921 execute-output: ('/bin/vdsm-tool', 'configure',
'--force') stdout:

Checking configuration status...

Current revision of multipath.conf detected, preserving
lvm is configured for vdsm
libvirt is already configured for vdsm
SUCCESS: ssl configured to true. No conflicts

Running configure...
Reconfiguration of libvirt is done.

2017-05-30 19:24:39 DEBUG otopi.plugins.gr_he_setup.system.vdsmenv
plugin.execute:926 execute-output: ('/bin/vdsm-tool', 'configure',
'--force') stderr:
Error:  ServiceOperationError: _systemctlStart failed
Job for libvirtd.service failed because the control process exited with
error code. See "systemctl status libvirtd.service" and "journalctl -xe"
for details.

At the same time journalctl shows:

May 30 19:24:39 node-1.test.net libvirtd[20954]: libvirt version: 2.0.0,
package: 10.el7_3.5 (CentOS BuildSystem <http://bugs.centos.org>,
2017-03-03-02:09:45, c1bm.rdu2.centos.org)
May 30 19:24:39 node-1.test.net libvirtd[20954]: hostname: node-1.test.net
May 30 19:24:39 node-1.test.net libvirtd[20954]: The server certificate
/etc/pki/vdsm/certs/vdsmcert.pem is not yet active
May 30 19:24:39 node-1.test.net systemd[1]: libvirtd.service: main process
exited, code=exited, status=6/NOTCONFIGURED
May 30 19:24:39 node-1.test.net systemd[1]: Failed to start Virtualization
daemon.
May 30 19:24:39 node-1.test.net systemd[1]: Unit libvirtd.service entered
failed state.
May 30 19:24:39 node-1.test.net systemd[1]: libvirtd.service failed.
May 30 19:24:39 node-1.test.net systemd[1]: libvirtd.service holdoff time
over, scheduling restart.