[ovirt-users] what does memory balloon optimize means in cluster?

Martin Sivak msivak at redhat.com
Wed Oct 11 13:43:07 UTC 2017

Hi,

Memory ballooning is a technique that allows taking memory from one
running VM when the VM is not actively using it and "returning" it
when the VM needs it.

oVirt uses it when:
- ballooning it is enabled in cluster
- memory overcommit is enabled for cluster
- ballooning device is present in VM (it is by default)
- host's memory load gets above 80%

We are deliberately pretty slow in changing the available memory so it
works best for VMs where the memory consumption does not show sudden
jumps.

As a summary: Memory ballooning is a technique that allows memory
overcommiting a host (overselling if you want).

I did a presentation couple of years back about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRYo1uOniFo

Best regards

--
Martin Sivak