[ovirt-users] CBT question

Pavel Gashev Pax at acronis.com
Tue Sep 12 09:23:36 UTC 2017

The dirty bitmap is already working well enough in QEMU 2.6. It can be used via LibVirt qemu-monitor-command. The only issue is that dirty bitmaps do not sustain VM restarts, snapshot creating/deleting, and VM live migration. However, this is not a big issue if you perform backups often than these operations. Since backups are in the qcow2 format, they can be placed on the Export storage, and restored directly from oVirt.

It would be relative simple to implement third-party backup solution, if disk locking mechanics was accessible via oVirt API. Implement this directly in oVirt would be even simpler as a Live Export feature, since dirty bitmaps work exactly like snapshots, and oVirt already has most of required logic.