[ovirt-users] vmware ova import problem

Michal Skrivanek michal.skrivanek at redhat.com
Wed Sep 13 14:40:18 UTC 2017

> On 13 Sep 2017, at 16:33, Jiří Sléžka <jiri.slezka at slu.cz> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> thanks for reply
>

> On 09/12/2017 12:44 PM, Michal Skrivanek wrote:
>>
>>> On 11 Sep 2017, at 14:12, Jiří Sléžka <jiri.slezka at slu.cz> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> today I tested vmware ova import for first time but unfortunately it
>>> failed. (btw. it would be great to have a possibility to upload ova
>>> directly from manager…)
>>
>> in 4.1 you can only upload qcow disks, in future we will support complete OVA (native oVirt’s OVA’s though)
>
> good news :-)
>

>>> problem seems to be this (vdsm/import log)

>>> libguestfs: trace: v2v: inspect_get_type = "linux"
>>>                              i_root = /dev/sda1
>>>                                                             i_type =
>>> linux
>>>                     i_distro = debian
>>>                                                    i_arch = i386
>>>
>>>          i_major_version = 9
>>>                                         i_minor_version = 0
>>>
>>> i_package_format = deb
>>>                              i_package_management = apt
>>>
>>> i_product_name = 9.0
>>>                              i_product_variant = unknown
>>>                                                             i_uefi =
>>> false

>>> [  13.7] Converting 9.0 to run on KVM
>>>                              virt-v2v: error: virt-v2v is unable to
>>> convert this guest type
>>> (linux/debian)
>>>                              rm -rf '/var/tmp/ova.lB3mEN'
>>>                                                             rm -rf
>>> '/var/tmp/null.kaX2uZ'
>>>
>>> so is debian really unsupported to be imported fom vmware ova?
>>
>> it is supported only in libguestfs 1.36+ which is released in EL 7.4
>
> nice, I can't wait for CentOS7.4 release

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7.4.1708/
yay!:)
still missing qemu-kvm-ev, so do not upgrade yet. But very soon...

>>> I believe this vm could run as is, even without v2v convert.
>>>
>>> It would be nice to have a possibility to bypass v2v process and import
>>> appliance as is, just disk(s) and vm definition. Does it make sense?
>>
>> the disk needs conversion, as well as changes to be able to boot (that’s the part originally missing for debina-based guests)
>
> It depends. In this case I converted vmdk disk to raw, created vm in
> oVirt, dded raw image to this vm and I had to change just ethernet
> interface name. It was ugly workaround but it is working. So for this
> case it would be nice to have a possibility to bypass v2v :-) but ok,
> this is very specific case.

Sure, you can always just do the same steps manually. virt-v2v just tries to wrap that into a single step process. But it just connects the dots and uses other tools to do that, it’s definitely doable manually