[ovirt-users] why force bond* naming?

Charles Kozler ckozleriii at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 21:30:09 UTC 2017

Hello -

I had setup my server somewhat before installing ovirt. I left em1 alone
for the ovirtmgmt but I had bonded two NICs on a separate card and named it
storage0 and storage1 accordingly.

Everything setup fine and when I went to add more networks for em3+em4 in
LACP named bond0, the web UI would not let me proceed because my two NICs
named storage0 and storage1. It didnt say directly it was those but it said
it needed "bond" in the name followed by a number. I shut everything down
and renamed them bond100 and bond101 and all was well

However, I cant stop and think that I was not trying to set those NICs
(storage0/1) up in ovirt so why would ovirt UI care about NICs in the
server that it wasnt even responsible for managing nor I had any
modifications to from the UI?

I get forcing it when you're adding through to UI but making the UI force
the user to use bond* for all of their NICs doesnt seem right

Thoughts?