[ovirt-users] Update posgtresql on engine

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Sun Sep 17 06:12:00 UTC 2017

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 6:28 PM, Gianluca Cecchi
<gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Suppose an update of postgresql server rpm (eg security issue) is released
> and you have to install it.
>
> Preliminary:
> Put in global maintenance if SHE environment
>
> Is this below then a good workflow of commands to run on engine?
> systemctl stop ovirt-engine
> systemctl stop ovirt-engine-dwhd
> systemctl stop postgresql
>
> yum update postgresql*

Should be enough, if it's a compatible change. Otherwise, it requires
upgrading the pg data. There is a utility for this, called pg_upgrade,
and in el/fedora there is a useful wrapper command for it,
'postgresql-setup --upgrade'.

On a related subject, in 4.2 we are going to require PG 9.5 (from SCL,
on el7).

You can search the devel list archives for details, as well as bugzilla:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/showdependencytree.cgi?id=1106547&hide_resolved=0

In particular, see bug 1480624. Due to it, we decided to call in engine-setup
'postresql-setup --upgrade', instead of calling pg_upgrade directly.

> shutdown engine vm

Not sure you need that, but might be a bit safer, to make sure everything
starts in the correct order.

> start engine vm or exit from global maintenance to have SHE automatically
> start

Indeed.

Here, too, I'd only exit global maint, mainly to use the opportunity to
test the HA functionality.

Best,
--
Didi