[ovirt-users] Odp: Re: How to upgrade self-hosted engine?

Karli Sjöberg karli at inparadise.se
Thu Sep 21 11:52:44 UTC 2017

On tor, 2017-09-21 at 13:41 +0200, gabriel_skupien at o2.pl wrote:

> Dnia 21 września 2017 13:20 Johan Bernhardsson <johan at kafit.se>
> napisał(a):
> Dnia 20 września 2017 15:54 Kasturi Narra <knarra at redhat.com>
> napisał(a):
>
> Hi,
>
> upgrade HE (Hosted Engine ) by doing the steps below.
>
> 1) Move HE to global maintenance by running the command
> 'hosted-engine --set-maintenance --mode=global'
>
> 2) Add the required repos which has higher package versions.
>
> 3) Run 'yum update ovirt\*setup\*'
>
> What if we upgrade all packages by 'yum update'?
>

> That will break the engine most probably. Since engine-setup does
> more
> than just installing the package. To ensure a safe upgrade follow
> these
> steps.
>
> Clear.

Well, that´s not entirely true.

It´s like this: engine-setup versionlocks the packages that it wants to
install and keeps them as they are. Updating them is only possible
through engine-setup.

All of the other packages you update like usual with yum
up(date|grade). So by only running engine-setup, you'll leave a lot of
other packages "behind".

So before, or after engine-setup, you also need to yum up(date|grade),
as well. Sh$t may go wrong if you do, then again, sh$t may go wrong if
you don´t :) Best you can do is ask.

/K