[ovirt-users] Engine migration and host import

Simone Tiraboschi stirabos at redhat.com
Mon Sep 25 12:56:10 UTC 2017

On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 10:59 PM, Ben Bradley <listsbb at virtx.net> wrote:

> [...]
>>> Migrating_from_Bare_Metal_to_an_EL-Based_Self-Hosted_Environment
>>>     <https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/self-hosted/chap-
>>> Migrating_from_Bare_Metal_to_an_EL-Based_Self-Hosted_Environment>
>>>
>>>     However I'd like to try and get a bit more of an understanding of
>>>     the process that happens behind the scenes during the cut-over from
>>>     one engine to a new/hosted engine.
>>>
>>>     As an experiment I attempted the following:
>>>     - created a new VM within my current environment (bare-metal engine)
>>>     - creating an engine-backup
>>>     - stopped the bare-metal engine
>>>     - restored the backup into the new VM
>>>     - ran engine-setup within the new VM
>>>     The new engine started up ok and I was able to connect and login to
>>>     the web UI. However my host was "unresponsive" and I was unable to
>>>     manage it in any way from the VM. I shut the VM down and started the
>>>     bare-metal ovirt-engine again on the host and everything worked as
>>>     before. I didn't try very hard to make it work however.
>>>
>>>     The magic missing from the basic process I tried is the
>>>     synchronising and importing of the existing host, which is what the
>>>     hosted-engine utility does.
>>>

>>> No magic up to now: the host are simply in the DB you restored.
>>> If the VM has network connectivity and the same host-name of the old
>>> machine you shouldn't see any issue.
>>> If you changed the host-name moving to the VM, you should simply run
>>> engine-rename after the restore.
>>>

>> Thank you for the reply.
>> I tried this again this evening - again it failed.
>>
>> The host is present within the new engine but I am unable to manage it.
>> Host is marked as down but Activate is greyed out. I can get get into the
>> "Edit" screen for the host and on right-click I get the following options:
>> - Maintenance
>> - Confirm Host has been Rebooted
>> - SSH Management: Restart and Stop both available
>> The VMs are still running and accessible but are not listed as running
>> under the web interface. This time however I did lose access to the
>> ovirtmgmt bridge and the web interface, running VMs and host SSH session
>> were unavailable until I rebooted.
>> Luckily I left ovirt-engine service enabled to restart on boot so
>> everything came back up.
>>
>> The engine URL is a CNAME so I just re-pointed to the hostname of the VM
>> just before running engine-setup after the restore.
>>
>> This time though I have kept the new engine VM so I can power it up again
>> and try and debug.
>>
>> I am going to try a few times over the weekend and I have setup serial
>> console access so I can do a bit more debugging.
>>
>> What ovirt logs could I check on the host to see if the new engine VM is
>> able to connect and sync to the host properly?
>>
>> Thanks, Ben
>>

> So I tried again to migrate my bare-metal host to a hosted VM but no luck.
> The host remained in unresponsive state in the engine web UI and I was
> unable to manage the host in anyway. Although all VMs continued to run.

Sorry but no one of that links is working right now.

> The engine VM is complaining about being unable to connect to the host,
> though I can see from tcpdump communication is fine. I believe this is
> backed up by the pings seen in mom.log
>
> Though I can see the following in vdsm.log... [vds] recovery: waiting for
> storage pool to go up (clientIF:569)
> So I wonder if this is blocking the engine bringing the host up.
>
> The host is running local storage, which I believe is a pretty recent
> addition to ovirt. So I could see how trying to run an engine VM on a
> host's local storage might cause weird issues.

Maybe I lost a piece here.
Are you trying to migrate an old 3.6 all-in-one setup (where ovirt-engine -
the manager - and vdsm - the agent on the host are running on the same
host) to hosted-engine in a single step?
In that case it will not work for sure since when you will power-down the
old engine machine you will also power-down your old host and so the new
engine running on the VM is not able to contact the host since the old host
is down.

In hosted-engine idea, the engine runs on a VM running on the host that its
managing.

In that case probably the most effective way is to:
within your old engine:
- create a datacenter with shared storage (please avoid using NFS in
loopback)
- add your new hosts there
- migrate all of your VMs to the new dataceter
- only now you can migrate to hosted-engine