[ovirt-users] Real Noob question- setting a static IP on host

Sandro Bonazzola sbonazzo at redhat.com
Fri Sep 29 06:13:16 UTC 2017

> I am incredibly sorry over this noob question but I am really bashing my
> head trying to simply change an IP address on an Ovirt host.  oVirt was
> pushed to this host through the server web interface.  It is running on top
> of Centos 7.
>
> From the docs it says to log into the host and edit the ifcfg-ovirtmgmt
> file and I have done and here are the latest settings:
>
> #Generated by VDSM version 4.19.28-1.e17.centos
> DEVICE:ovirtmgmt
> TYPE:Bridge
> DELAY=0
> STP=off
> ONBOOT=yes
> BOOTPROTO=none
> MTU=1500
> DEFROUTE=yes
> NM_CONTROLLED=no
> IPV6INIT=yes
> IPV6_AUTOCONF=yes
> IPADDR=10.0.0.226
> GATEWAY=10.0.0.1
> PREFIX=13
> DNS1=10.0.0.9
> DNS2=8.8.8.8
>
> The server can reach everything on the network fine.  Although it cannot
> be reached through the oVirt web interface and the host is in a
> “connecting” status.  In the oVirt web interface if I attempt to edit the
> NIC settings from DHCP to Static to reflect the changes Ive made above I
> run into this error:
>

>    - Cannot setup Networks. Another Setup Networks or Host Refresh
>    process in progress on the host. Please try later.
>
> Dan, Marcin can you help here?

> What is the correct procedure to change a host management IP from DHCP to
> STATIC?  Should I make these changes manually on the host or through the
> NIC settings in the oVirt web interface (when I tried this it just seemed
> to hang..)

The administration guide related to host management is here:
https://ovirt.org/documentation/admin-guide/chap-Hosts/
but it doesn't cover the change of the host network configuration.
Dan and Marcin or some other sysadmin in this list may correct me, but I
think the correct procedure here is:
- Put the host to maintenance in the ovirt interface
- change the nic settings in ovirt web interface
- activate the host

Derek, we should probably ensure this case is covered in the Admin guide.

> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks!!
>

> Alex

SANDRO BONAZZOLA

ASSOCIATE MANAGER, SOFTWARE ENGINEERING, EMEA ENG VIRTUALIZATION R&D

Red Hat EMEA <https://www.redhat.com/>
<https://red.ht/sig>
TRIED. TESTED. TRUSTED. <https://redhat.com/trusted>
<http://www.teraplan.it/redhat-osd-2017/>