[ovirt-users] hosted-engine Debug Help

RabidCicada rabidcicada at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 14:52:45 UTC 2018

Heyo everyone.  I'm trying to debug hosted-engine --deploy.  It is failing
in `Copy configuration archive to storage` in `create_target_vm.yml`
from `hosted-engine
--deploy`.  My general and most important query here is how to get good
debug output from ansible through hosted-engine.  I'm running hosted-engine
through an ssh session.

I can't figure out how to get good debug output from ansible within that
workflow.  I see it's running through otopi, I tried setting typical
`debugger: on_failed` hooks etc and tried many incantations on the command line
and config files to get ansible to help me out.  The debugger: directive
and other debugger related ansible config file stuff wouldn't result in any
debugger popping up.  I also can't seem to pass normal -vvvv flags to
hosted-engine either and get it to ansible.  Ultimately I tried to use a
`pause` directive and it complained that it was in a non-interactive
shell.  I figured it might be the result of my ssh session so I enabled tty
allocation with -t -t.  It did not resolve the issue.

I eventually wrote-my-own/stole a callback_plugin that checks an
environmental variable and enables `display.verbosity = int(v)` since I
can't seem to pass typical -vvvv stuff to ansible through `hosted-engine
--deploy`.  It give me the best info that I have so far.   But it wont give
me enough to debug issues around Gathering Facts or what looks like a
sudo/permission problem in `Copy configuration archive to storage` in
`create_target_vm.yml`.  I took and used the exact command that they use
manually and it works when I run it manually (But I can't get debug output
to show me the exact sudo command being executed), hence my interest in
passing -vvvv or equivalent to ansible through `hosted-engine`.  I
intentionally disabled the VM_directory cleanup so that I could execute the
same stuff.

So....after all that...what is a good way to get deep debug info from
hosted-engine ansible stuff?

Or does anyone have intuition for the possible sudo problem?
~Kyle