[ovirt-users] How much improvement has been made with GlusterFS handling small files?

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Sat Apr 21 04:58:36 UTC 2018

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018, 4:11 PM Jayme <jaymef at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm very strongly leaning toward an oVirt hyperconverged setup.  I plan on
> using fairly robust hardware (ssds, lots of ram, 10gb network) as per the
> guides, however I am worried about one thing which is glusterFS performance
> in regards to its handling of many small files.  I've read various forum
> posts and other tidbits of info on this subject I've come across in my
> research but in many cases the information is from several years ago and
> I'm not sure how relevant it is today.
>
> The amount of VMs won't be high and most servers I'll be running will be
> fairly light weight Linux servers, however a handful of them will be used
> to deal with some decent sized github repos so at times there could be
> interaction with directories that have a lot of small files (including
> rsyncing those directories for off-site backups as well).  Is oVirt
> hyperconverged still a viable solution in such a case or should I be
> considering other VM storage options instead?

I suspect you either have a misunderstanding of the layering of storage -
or I misunderstood what you plan to achieve.
VM disks are hosted on Gluster and as such, are fairly large files. They
may be sharded for smaller chunks, but these are still pretty big files.
Or are you planning to expose Gluster to the VMs?
Y.