[ovirt-users] Posix FS as alternative to local storage?

Eduardo Mayoral emayoral at arsys.es
Mon Apr 30 09:43:43 UTC 2018

Hi,

    I would like to set up a new oVirt deployment with hosts that have
the VMs running on local attached storage. I understand this has the
requirement of having each host in its own cluster (and own datacenter,
it seems, I understand the need for the dedicated cluster, not so much
for the dedicated datacenter).

    At the same time, I would like to have some shared storage domains
so I can use it to export VMs or migrate them around hosts (probably in
three stages, first migrate VM storage from local to the shared storage
domain, second migrate the host (probably not possible to do a "hot"
migration, but at least "cold"), third migrate the VM storage from the
shared storage domain to the local storage domain of the new host).

    So I thought maybe I can deploy a datacenter in shared storage mode,
with one cluster per host. Use one or two shared storage domains for
master and as an stage area for planned VM migrations as explained
before, and then configure several storage domains, one per host, as
posix FS . I would then deploy the VMs on the local posix FS storage
domains and set affinity rules for the VMs to their hosts as needed.

    Would this work? Is there a better way of achieving local storage
and retaining the ability to share storage among hosts and migrate VMs?

--
Eduardo Mayoral Jimeno (emayoral at arsys.es)
Administrador de sistemas. Departamento de Plataformas. Arsys internet.