[ovirt-users] Using upstream QEMU

Michal Skrivanek michal.skrivanek at redhat.com
Thu Feb 1 09:28:00 UTC 2018

> On 31 Jan 2018, at 16:53, Yedidyah Bar David <didi at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 5:43 PM, Harry Mallon <Harry.Mallon at codex.online> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Has anyone used oVirt with non-oVirt provided QEMU versions?
>> I need a feature provided by upstream QEMU, but it is disabled in the oVirt/CentOS7 QEMU RPM.

just curious - which one?
Typically the reason for disabling it is that it’s not really stable

>> I have two possible methods to avoid the issue:
>> 1. Fedora has a more recent QEMU which is closer to 'stock'. I see that oVirt 4.2 has no Fedora support,
>
> Indeed, mostly
>
>> but is it possible to install the host onto a Fedora machine?
>
> Didn't try this recently, but it might require not-too-much work with
> fc25 or so.
> IIRC fc27 is python3-only, and this will require more work (which is
> ongoing, but
> don't hold your breath).
>
>> I am trying to use the master branch rpms as recommended in the "No Fedora Support" note with no luck currently.
>
> Another option is to try to rebuild the fedora srpm for CentOS 7.
>
>> 2. Is it safe/sensible to use oVirt with a CentOS7 host running an upstream QEMU version?
>
> No idea. If it's only for development/testing, I'd say give it a try.

it’s as sensible as running any bleeding edge stuff. It should work if you manage to resolve qemu deps

you could also rebuild qemu-kvm-ev without the patch which blacklists the feature you want to see.

Thanks,
michal