[ovirt-users] Slow conversion from VMware in 4.1

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Feb 2 11:52:21 UTC 2018

On Fri, Feb 02, 2018 at 12:20:14PM +0100, Luca 'remix_tj' Lorenzetto wrote:
> Hello Richard,
>
> unfortunately upgrading virt-v2v is not an option. Would be nice, but
> integration with vdsm is not yet ready for that options.
>
> On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 11:06 AM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> [cut]
> > I don't know why it slowed down, but I'm pretty sure it's got nothing
> > to do with the version of oVirt/RHV.  Especially in the initial phase
> > where it's virt-v2v reading the guest from vCenter.  Something must
> > have changed or be different in the test and production environments.
> >

> > Are you converting the same guests?  virt-v2v is data-driven, so
> > different guests require different operations, and those can take
> > different amount of time to run.
> >

> I'm not migrating the same guests, i'm migrating different guest, but
> most of them share the same os baseline.
> Most of these vms are from the same RHEL 7 template and have little
> data difference (few gigs).
>
> Do you know which is the performance impact on vcenter? I'd like to
> tune as best as possible the vcenter to improve the migration time.

There is a section about this in the virt-v2v man page.  I'm on
a train at the moment but you should be able to find it.  Try to
run many conversions, at least 4 or 8 would be good places to start.

> We have to migrate ~300 guests, and our maintenance window is very
> short. We don't want continue the migration for months.

SSH or VDDK method would be far faster but if you can't upgrade
you're stuck with https to vCenter.

Rich.

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v