[ovirt-users] oVirt DR: ansible with 4.1, only a subset of storage domain replicated

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Mon Feb 5 17:54:19 UTC 2018

On Feb 5, 2018 5:00 PM, "Luca 'remix_tj' Lorenzetto" <
lorenzetto.luca at gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

i'm starting the implementation of our disaster recovery site with RHV
4.1.latest for our production environment.

Our production setup is very easy, with self hosted engine on dc
KVMPDCA, and virtual machines both in KVMPDCA and KVMPD dcs. All our
setup has an FC storage backend, which is EMC VPLEX/VMAX in KVMPDCA
and EMC VNX8000. Both storage arrays supports replication via their
own replication protocols (SRDF, MirrorView), so we'd like to delegate
to them the replication of data to the remote site, which is located
on another remote datacenter.

In KVMPD DC we have some storage domains that contains non critical
VMs, which we don't want to replicate to remote site (in case of
failure they have a low priority and will be restored from a backup).
In our setup we won't replicate them, so will be not available for
attachment on remote site. Can be this be an issue? Do we require to
replicate everything?
What about master domain? Do i require that the master storage domain
stays on a replicated volume or can be any of the available ones?

I've seen that since 4.1 there's an API for updating OVF_STORE disks.
Do we require to invoke it with a frequency that is the compatible
with the replication frequency on storage side. We set at the moment
RPO to 1hr (even if planned RPO requires 2hrs). Does OVF_STORE gets
updated with the required frequency?

I've seen a recent presentation by Maor Lipchuk that is showing the
"automagic" ansible role for disaster recovery:

https://www.slideshare.net/maorlipchuk/ovirt-dr-site-tosite-using-ansible

It's also related with some youtube presentations demonstrating a real
DR plan execution.

But what i've seen is that Maor is explicitly talking about 4.2
release. Does that role works only with >4.2 releases or can be used
also on earlier (4.1) versions?

Releases before 4.2 do not store complete information on the OVF store to
perform such comprehensive failover. I warmly suggest 4.2!
Y.

I've tested a manual flow of replication + recovery through Import SD
followed by Import VM and worked like a charm. Using a prebuilt
ansible role will reduce my effort on creating a new automation for
doing this.

Anyone has experiences like mine?

Thank you for the help you may provide, i'd like to contribute back to
you with all my findings and with an usable tool (also integrated with
storage arrays if possible).

Luca

(Sorry for duplicate email, ctrl-enter happened before mail completion)

--
"E' assurdo impiegare gli uomini di intelligenza eccellente per fare
calcoli che potrebbero essere affidati a chiunque se si usassero delle

"Internet è la più grande biblioteca del mondo.
Ma il problema è che i libri sono tutti sparsi sul pavimento"
John Allen Paulos, Matematico (1945-vivente)

Luca 'remix_tj' Lorenzetto, http://www.remixtj.net , <
lorenzetto.luca at gmail.com>