[ovirt-users] Virt-viewer not working over VPN

Frank Thommen f.thommen at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Fri Feb 9 19:11:33 UTC 2018

On 02/09/2018 07:55 PM, Vincent Royer wrote:
> Hi, I asked this on the virt-viewer list, but it appears to be dead, so
> my apologies if this isn't the right place for this question.
>
> When I access my vm's locally using virt-viewer on windows clients,
> everything works fine, spice or vnc.
>
> When I access the same vm's remotely over a site-to-site VPN (setup
> between the two firewalls), it fails with an error: unable to connect to
> libvirt with uri: [none].  Similarly I cannot connect in a browser-based
> vnc session (cannot connect to host).
>
> I can resolve the DNS of the server from my remote client (domain
> override in the firewall pointing to the DNS server locally) and
> everything else I do seems completely unaware of the vpn link (SSH, RDP,
> etc).  For example connecting to https://ovirt-enginr.mydomain.com works
> as expected.   The only function not working remotely is virt-viewer.
>
> Any clues would be appreciated!

Probably not all ports have been made accessible for VPN users in your
internal network. E.g. our VPN setup blocks most ports with the
exception of the usual SSH and http/s ports.  Hence virt-viewer doesn't
work.

If you have the possibility, connect to a virtual desktop within your
organization and run your session there.

frank