[ovirt-users] Partition Trouble on oVirt Node

Matt Simonsen matt at khoza.com
Thu Feb 15 23:23:30 UTC 2018

Hello all,

This may not be oVirt specific (but it may be) so thank you in advance
for any assistance.

I have a system installed with oVirt Node Next 4.1.9 that was installed
to /dev/sda

I had a seperate RAID Volume /dev/sdb that should not have been used,
but now that the operating system is loaded I'm struggling to get the
device partitioned.

I've tried mkfs.ext4 on the device and also pvcreate, with the errors
below. I've also rebooted a couple times and tried to disable
multipathd.   Is multipathd even safe to disable on Node Next?

Below are the errors I've received, and thank you again for any tips.

[root at node1-g6-h3 ~]# mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdb
mke2fs 1.42.9 (28-Dec-2013)
/dev/sdb is entire device, not just one partition!
Proceed anyway? (y,n) y
/dev/sdb is apparently in use by the system; will not make a filesystem
here!
[root at node1-g6-h3 ~]# gdisk
GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.6

Type device filename, or press <Enter> to exit: /dev/sdb
Caution: invalid main GPT header, but valid backup; regenerating main header
from backup!

Caution! After loading partitions, the CRC doesn't check out!
Warning! Main partition table CRC mismatch! Loaded backup partition table
instead of main partition table!

Warning! One or more CRCs don't match. You should repair the disk!

Partition table scan:
   MBR: not present
   BSD: not present
   APM: not present
   GPT: damaged

Found invalid MBR and corrupt GPT. What do you want to do? (Using the
GPT MAY permit recovery of GPT data.)
  1 - Use current GPT
  2 - Create blank GPT

Your answer: 2

Command (? for help): n
Partition number (1-128, default 1):
First sector (34-16952264590, default = 2048) or {+-}size{KMGTP}:
Last sector (2048-16952264590, default = 16952264590) or {+-}size{KMGTP}:
Current type is 'Linux filesystem'
Hex code or GUID (L to show codes, Enter = 8300): 8e00
Changed type of partition to 'Linux LVM'

Command (? for help): w

Final checks complete. About to write GPT data. THIS WILL OVERWRITE EXISTING
PARTITIONS!!

Do you want to proceed? (Y/N): y
OK; writing new GUID partition table (GPT) to /dev/sdb.
The operation has completed successfully.
[root at node1-g6-h3 ~]# pvcreate /dev/sdb1
   Device /dev/sdb1 not found (or ignored by filtering).