[ovirt-users] qcow2 images corruption

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Sun Feb 18 19:07:40 UTC 2018

On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 7:09 PM Nicolas Ecarnot <nicolas at ecarnot.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> TL; DR : qcow2 images keep getting corrupted. Any workaround?
>
> Long version:
> This discussion has already been launched by me on the oVirt and on
> qemu-block mailing list, under similar circumstances but I learned
> further things since months and here are some informations :
>
> - We are using 2 oVirt 3.6.7.5-1.el7.centos datacenters, using CentOS
> 7.{2,3} hosts
> - Hosts :
>    - CentOS 7.2 1511 :
>      - Kernel = 3.10.0 327
>      - KVM : 2.3.0-31
>      - libvirt : 1.2.17
>      - vdsm : 4.17.32-1
>    - CentOS 7.3 1611 :
>      - Kernel 3.10.0 514
>      - KVM : 2.3.0-31
>      - libvirt 2.0.0-10
>      - vdsm : 4.17.32-1
> - Our storage is 2 Equallogic SANs connected via iSCSI on a dedicated
> network

In 3.6 and iSCSI storage you have the issue of lvmetad service, activating
oVirt volumes by default, and also activating guest lvs inside oVirt raw
volumes.
This can lead to data corruption if an lv was activated before it was
extended
on another host, and the lv size on the host does not reflect the actual lv
size.
We had many bugs related to this, check this for related bugs:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1374545

To avoid this issue, you need to

1. edit /etc/lvm/lvm.conf global/use_lvmetad to:

use_lvmetad = 0

2. disable and mask these services:

- lvm2-lvmetad.socket
- lvm2-lvmetad.service

Note that this will may cause warnings from systemd during boot, the
warnings
are harmless:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1462792

For extra safety and better performance, you should also setup lvm filter
on all hosts.

Check this for example how it is done in 4.x:
https://www.ovirt.org/blog/2017/12/lvm-configuration-the-easy-way/

Since you run 3.6 you will have to setup the filter manually in the same
way.

Nir