[ovirt-users] Spice Client Connection Issues Using aSpice

Tomas Jelinek tjelinek at redhat.com
Tue Feb 20 07:59:39 UTC 2018

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 7:10 PM, Jeremy Tourville <
Jeremy_Tourville at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Tomas,
>
> To answer your question, yes I am really trying to use aSpice.
>

> I appreciate your suggestion.  I'm not sure if it meets my objective.  Maybe
> our goals are different?  It seems to me that movirt is built around
> portable management of the ovirt environment.  I am attempting to provide a
> VDI type experience for running a vm.  My goal is to run a lab environment
> with 30 chromebooks loaded with a spice clent.  The spice client would of
> course connect to the 30 vms running Kali and each session would be
> independent of each other.

yes, it looks like a different use case

> I did  a little further testing with a different client.  (spice plugin
> for chrome).  When I attempted to connect using that client I got a
> slightly different error message.  The message still seemed to be of the
> same nature- i.e.: there is a problem with SSL protocol and communication.
>

> Are you suggesting that movirt can help set up the proper certficates and
> config the vms to use spice?  Thanks!

moVirt has been developed for quite some time and works pretty well, this
is why I recommended it. But anyway, you have a different use case.

What I think the issue is, is that oVirt can have different CAs set for
console communication and for API. And I think you are trying to configure
aSPICE to use the one for API.

What moVirt does to make sure it is using the correct CA to put into the
aSPICE is that it downloads the .vv file of the VM (e.g. you can just
connect to console using webadmin and save the .vv file somewhere), parse
it and use the CA= part from it as a certificate. This one is guaranteed to
be the correct one.

For more details about what else it takes from the .vv file you can check
here:
the parsing:
https://github.com/oVirt/moVirt/blob/master/moVirt/src/main/java/org/ovirt/mobile/movirt/rest/client/httpconverter/VvFileHttpMessageConverter.java
configuration of aSPICE: