[ovirt-users] Confused by logical networks

Paul-Erik Törrönen poltsi at poltsi.fi
Thu Feb 22 15:15:27 UTC 2018

I'm not sure how the logical networks should work and would appreciate
if someone could shed some light into the matter, I've tried reading the
documentation¹ but have not become any wiser :-/

For the sake of argument, I have two hosts in the same cluster/DC, They
both have 2 network devices each (let's call them eth0 and eth1). On
both hosts the ovirtmgmgt is connected to eth0 and uses the
10.0.0.0/8-network. Host 1 is 10.0.0.1 and host 2 is 10.0.0.2. All four
network devices are connected to one switch.

Then I create a logical network, mylogic which should be 192.168.1.0/24,
which I assign to eth1 on each host, but define only for host 1 an
ip-address, 192.168.1.1, host 2 has also the network assigned to eth1,
but withouth an ip address.

Next I create vm1 on host 1, give it a single virtual network connection
to mylogic, and configure the guest to use 192.168.1.2 with gw
192.168.1.1. Obviously I can from the guest ping 192.168.1.1 which is
the host address on the logical network as the guest is running on the
same hardware where the host ip address is defined.

However, and this is where my confusion lies, if I now create another
vm, vm2, on host 2, attach its network device to the mylogic network and
configure it to use 192.168.1.3 with gw 192.168.1.1, I can not ping
neither 192.168.1.1 nor 192.168.1.2.

My understanding is that vm2 should be able to ping the wm1 as well as
the gateway address defined on host 1. However this does not seem to be
the case.

What have I missed here?

TIA,

Poltsi