[ovirt-users] Before migrating to Ovirt

Dan Yasny dyasny at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 15:13:50 UTC 2018

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 11:33 AM, Tal Bar-Or <tbaror at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Ovirt users,
>
> Currently we haveing 4 Xen pools in our organization each pool have 8
> servers.
> Due to new 7.3 version change ,we plan to migrate our upcoming 5th pool to
> Ovirt, the decision to do POC migration to Ovirt is from lots of Xen users
> that suggested Ovirt migration better and  mature product migrate to it.
>
> I started to test Ovirt currently only with one server with engine
> installed, my question regarding Ovirt sine i am really newbie with that
> system , is , is it possible to have multiple engine on it ?

No, but you can either cluster the engine in an HA cluster, run backup
frequently (I've had environments where I did an engine dump every hour
without any issues), or use self hosted engine, which is basically the
engine as a VM, so if a host goes down, it gets started on another. What
you cannot do is have multiple engines load-balancing the work, like
openstack controllers for example.

> What happen if the engine server crash with some reason? can i load it on
> another cluster server?

If the engine goes down, the hosts and VMs keep working, so you have time
to restore from backup or fix the engine without outages, besides a
management outage of course. If you are running hosted engine, it will
simply get started on another eligible host.