[ovirt-users] Behaviour when attaching shared iSCSI storage with existing data

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Thu Jan 4 08:58:15 UTC 2018

> If one was to attach a shared iSCSI LUN as 'storage' to an oVirt data
> centre that contains existing data - how does oVirt behave?
>
> For example the LUN might be partitioned as LVM, then contain existing
> filesystems etc...
>
> - Would oVirt see that there is existing data on the LUN and simply attach
> it as any other linux initiator (client) world, or would it try to wipe the
> LUN clean and reinitialise it?

Neither - we will not be importing these as existing data domains, nor wipe
them, as they have contents.

> Context: Investigating migration from XenServer to oVirt (4.2.0)

A very interesting subject - would love to see the outcome!

> All our iSCSI storage is currently attached to XenServer hosts, XenServer
> formats those raw LUNs with LVM and VMs are stored within them.

I suspect we need to copy the data. We might be able to do some tricks, but
at the end of the day I think copying the data, LV to LV, makes the most
sense.
However, I wonder what else is needed - do we need a conversion of the
drivers, different kernel, etc.?

What are the export options Xen provides? Perhaps OVF?
Is there an API to stream the disks from Xen?
Y.