[ovirt-users] Deploying self-hosted engine - Waiting for VDSM host to become operation + received packet with own address as source

Mon Jan 8 21:39:02 UTC 2018

Hi Simone,

Thanks for your response.

> Could you please attach/share hosted-engine-setup, vdsm, supervdsm and host-deploy (on the engine VM) logs?

I was on the IRC channel yesterday (username: protoporpoise) and user 'zipur' suggested that although the self-hosted engine documentation doesn't mention it - they thought that perhaps oVirt doesn't support having it's management network setup (bridged) to a bonded interface.

It does indeed seem like the documentation is a bit fragmented between the three major install options (self-hosted engine vs engine vs the appliance-like ISO (I think this was called oVirt live?)).

In addition, we usually remove NetworkManager as part of our normal / existing CentOS 7 SOE as we believe it's not ready for server deployments (yet, maybe it's OK in the latest Fedora), however it appears oVirt depends on it.

I noticed it generates a big mess of ifcfg files in sysconfig/network-scripts/ , and often changing configuration using nmtui / nmcli / editing files gives inconsistent results and nmtui actually adds a lot of options to bonded interfaces without notifying you or letting you set / change them (for example, with LACP, you can't set the lacp_rate to fast, and it sets it to slow for some reason), so this wasn't helping the confusion.

Today I'm going to try installing oVirt hosted-engine on CentOS 7.4 without the network interfaces being bonded.

> Yes, currently ovirt-hosted-engine-cleanup is not able to revert to initial network configuration but hosted-engine-setup is supposed to be able to consume an existing management bridge.

That's definitely what I experienced yesterday and found it easier (although very time consuming) to completely reinstall the entire OS each time to get to a 'clean' state to test the install on.
I also had to blkdiscard / zero out the iSCSI LUN, otherwise the installer would either crash out, or complain that it can't be used.

Wish me luck for trying the install without bonded interfaces today - I'll update this thread with my results and if I'm still having problems I'll compile the logs up and provide them (off-list), is there anyone else that I should send them to other than yourself?

If I find inconsistent documentation, I'll try to make notes as to where and then submit merge requests to the site when possible.

Thanks again, I'll be on the IRC channel all day.