[ovirt-users] oVirt Node 4.1 question, writing files to /root and RPMs

Ryan Barry rbarry at redhat.com
Thu Jan 11 13:37:11 UTC 2018

Next-gen node (since 4.0) doesn't have any strong notion of "persistence",
unlike previous versions of oVirt Node.

My guess would be that /exports was not moved across to the new system.

The update process for Node is essentially:

* create a new lv
* unpack the squashfs in the new RPM and put it on the LV
* Go through /var, /etc, and /root to see if any files were modified/added,
and copy those to the new layer
* Add a new bootloader entry
* Re-install any persistent RPMs

I would guess that /exports as not on its own partition, so it didn't carry
across. Mounting the LV for the old image somewhere (/tmp/...) will make
them visible again,

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 9:26 AM, Kasturi Narra <knarra at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hello Matt,
>
>        All the partitions will be persisted when gluster is installed on
> the ovirt node since gluster recommends user not to create bricks in root
> directory. If the gluster bricks are created in root partition then once
> the update of the node is done, you will not be able to see any of the
> bricks.
>
> Hope this helps !!!
>
> Thanks
> kasturi.
>
> On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 4:28 AM, Matt Simonsen <matt at khoza.com> wrote:
>
>> On 12/15/2017 03:06 AM, Simone Tiraboschi wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 4:45 AM, Donny Davis <donny at fortnebula.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> have you gotten an image update yet?

>> That document mainly refers to vintage node.
>> In Next Generation Node now we have rpm persistence; please check
>> https://www.ovirt.org/develop/release-management/features/no
>> de/node-next-persistence/
>>

>> I'm sure glad we tested!
>>
>> On one Node image we had images locally stored in /exports and shared out
>> via NFS. After an upgrade & reboot, images are gone.
>>
>> If we "Convert to local storage" will the data persist?  I am planning to
>> test, but want to be sure how this is designed.
>>
>> I assume during a Gluster installation something is also updated in oVirt
>> Node to allow for the Gluster partition to persist?
>>
>> At this point I'm thinking I should manually install via CentOS7 to
>> ensure folders and partitions are persistent. Is there any downside to
>> installing over CentOS7?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Matt

RYAN BARRY

SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER - TEAM LEAD - RHEV HYPERVISOR

Red Hat NA <https://www.redhat.com/>

rbarry at redhat.com    M: +1-651-815-9306     IM: rbarry
<https://red.ht/sig>