[ovirt-users] The future of backups in oVirt 4.2+

Jayme jaymef at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 14:59:15 UTC 2018

I've been running a non-production oVirt setup for a while and plan on
building a more robust oVirt setup for eventual production use.  Part of
that planning of course is backup/disaster recovery options.

I've been playing around with a few options to backup oVirt, I'm sure most
of you are aware of them.  The github webfix it python scripts, and
starting to look at bacchus as well although have not set it up or tested
bacchus yet.

The webfix it python script is fairly simple to setup and seems to work ok
as intended, even on 4.2, but it's definitely clunky in terms of having to
snapshot, clone, export.  A lot of resource usage.  I assume bacchus most
likely uses the same method of snapshot/clone/export as well (due to what
was available in oVirt at the time these scripts were written).

My concerns with using something like these are:

1. It's using old 3x api -- which is fine for now but probably not with
oVirt 4.3
2. Inefficient / resource intensive
3. Using export domain which is depreciated

>From what I've read in oVirt documentation the Export domain is
depreciated.  I assume that this means that instead of a export domain you
could instead create a regular data domain for backups that can be detached
and attached to another environment, is that the correct assumption?

I've also read that it might be possible to skip the cloning of the VM part
and export snapshots directly.  Is this now possible in 4.2 or will be in
the future?  if it is possible to perform VM backups without cloning to a
new VM first is anyone aware of any scripts/software that is available now
which takes advantage of that?

Essentially all I want is a simple solution to backup my VMs to separate
NFS storage.  If for some reason my main storage crashes I then have the
option to connect that backup NFS storage to a secondary stand alone oVirt
instance and run my VMs from there until the primary oVirt instance is
repaired.   What I want to avoid is implementing an older more inefficient
solution that might work for a while but will eventually no longer work due
to ovIrt updates in the future.

I know options like active-active failover and georeplication exist but
that may be too complex for my needs although I would be interested in
hearing about how some of you may be implementing these features.

In summary, I'd trying to figure out what the best backup option may be
going forward with oVirt in the future so I can implement the best option
from the start rather than having to change it all around in the near
future.

Thanks!